Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pact on Climate: Goals Go Unmet.

I read this on the cover of the Saturday NY Times. I read it everyday...paper, not online...and I'm in Milwaukee... I was aggravated by the headline. It's fun that this link was picked up in the Santa Cruz Sentinal (my old stomping ground) but it's not fun that this statement denies another defining act by our President.

I mean, really, did ya think that Obama was Obamhoudini and going to get 193 countries into a binding agreement? Did you think he could get even the big guys to agree? Of course not. Especially since we didn't even pay attention to Kyoto. At least they gave each other a big hug or as the headlines read a "pact on climate."

Criticism of the President on this one is unfair. There's more to congratulate than diminish. Afterall, he had guts to lay it on the line (and bust up a China/Brazil happy hour). He let everyone know that he is in this, and won't mess around. But, I agree with Tom Friedman today. He shoulda said, " Game on."

He should have said, "We're going to beat you at this economy-building, environment-aiding, people-employing strategy. We are going to knock this out of the park. You can watch or get on board, Big Guys, we are going to beat you to the moon. Again." (Read Mr Friedman today. He has this one right.)

No comments: