Friday, February 6, 2009

Baby, it's cold out here

Winter is cruel this year. When we left Alaska in our rear view mirror, we worked our way south to Florida for the winter. We thought we were going to avoid it.

Last night it was 19 degrees. That's cruel.

So, there it is - another lesson about flexibility. I had envisioned long walks and bike rides this week. I had the wine chilled and the chairs set up by the fire pit. I bought salads.

Yesterday, I made bean soup.

Frank keeps the motor home comfortable by making himself uncomfortable. When it's cold outside he has to button up the motor home, drain water at night, fill up the tanks in the morning, set up heaters and smile. I love being cared for, but, it's the smile that matters the most. He's convinced me it's "no big deal."

Sometimes leadership is about doing the hard stuff with a smile. Working through hard stuff with a smile will make people want to help you. They will feel secure through change. They will help you get you where you want to go. They will make you soup.

The thing is, Frank, I wonder if we're supposed to be in Mexico? I hear it's warm down there.

No comments: