Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The morning after

Barack ObamaImage via Wikipedia

God bless America. God bless pundits. Here we are, the morning after, and it appears the takeaway from last night is that there were awkward responses from congress because they threw out the seating chart. Imagine that. A call to become a teacher, improve healthcare, and create clean energy jobs and all we want to talk about is the lack of rowdy applause.

Now, call me silly, but I listen - with interest and without judgment - when someone speaks with conviction and sincerity. But I don't boo or cheer a lot while he is talking. That may be tradition in congress but is it what we want? Really?

If so, we should take lessons from parliament in Great Britain. They yell. They pound. They even boo with thumbs down. It's a great show but I don't want a show. I want courtesy.

I can make up my own mind and have my own opinion without having someone screaming at me. I don't want to have to yell or throw punches to be heard either. If I did, then I probably wouldn't say anything at all. Would you?




No comments: